Fall is officially in full swing and mums is the word! Hardy mums that is.
Unlike most flowers, mums are ideal for fall. They bring a classic colorfulness and a fitting liveliness perfect for the season. Known by their botanical name, Chrysanthemums, these flowers are built to withstand winter’s toughest temperatures. Mums are one of our favorite items to partner with local growers for sourcing – summer is great but we get excited when cooler weather approaches!
Mums have many variations of sizes and colors. A full day of sun is preferred for mums to have a good bloom, but they can get by with at least half a day’s worth of sun. Maximize the blooms longer by watering them directly at soil level. As blossoms die off, cut the blossom and the stem beneath it down to the next leaf on the stem. This simple trick will allow new buds to develop, and eventually the plant will flower again during the fall season.
Hardy mums are commonly seen in many colors such as sunny yellows, pinks, mauves, and orange-reds. The orange and red variations are the most fitting for the autumn season! Hardy mums may not be as bright as spring flowers, but their presence is a very appealing addition to an otherwise fading fall garden. Some hardy mums even change colors over time. “Will’s Wonderful” mums start bright red in the summer, with a touch of yellow in the center. Then, as they age, the yellow slowly spreads across the petals, eventually taking over the flower leaving only tips of red.
Our Northeast climate provides an ideal agricultural canvas for planting and growing fall mums. We’re proud to have been partnering with Casertano’s Greenhouses in Cheshire, CT and Kurt Weiss Greenhouses in Moriches, NY for over a decade, allowing us to source our Northeast-grown mums each year!
Hardy mums make a great decorative piece for fall: Get yours at your local Price Chopper or Market 32 before it’s too late!
The beauty of summer is now surrounding us. From the full, bright green trees to colorful flowers planted on the lawns of our neighbors and local businesses, there is so much to smile about. If you are interested in adding some summer fun to your lawn, you have come to the right place. We have a few tips on how to make the outside of your home look fabulous, one plant at a time. While this will require some work and patience, you will be thrilled by the outcome.
- Do Some Research: What type of flowers or plants are you interested in having outside your home? Hanging plants? Flowers that must be physically planted? Having an idea of what you are looking for will help before you go shopping.
- Clear the Ground: If you chose hanging flowers, then water them and you are all set! However, if you bought potted plants, it is time to get started. Make sure all weeds and rocks are fully removed from the ground.
- Measure Where to Plant: It is important to set the plants down to get an idea of where you want your plants and how far apart they should be placed.
- Start Planting: Smooth soil with a rake before planting. Once completed, dig a hole the same length as the container the plant was in. Once the plant is in, fill with the soil you just dug out.
- Time to water: Water at the base of your plants and then add bark mulch. This will help retain the water moisture.
We hope your new plants bring some beautiful color to your yard!