Eat Heart-Smart for American Heart Month
What is American Heart Month?
February is American Heart Month, a time the nation turns its attention to keeping families and communities free from heart disease, the No. 1 killer of American adult men and women. This federally designated event reinforces the importance of heart health and the need for more research, with a reminder to get families, friends and communities involved. It is a time to raise awareness about heart health and motivate Americans to adopt healthier lifestyles to help prevent heart disease.
–American Heart Association
Why is American Heart Month Important?
Although heart disease has multiple causes, adopting a healthier diet is one of the key actions people can take to combat it. American Heart Month is an ideal period to pause and take stock of food choices and eating behaviors, striving to phase out unhealthy habits and adopt better ones that can be sustained over the long term. And there are heart-healthy foods to be found in nearly every aisle of the grocery store! One great way to start is looking for the American Heart Association’s Heart-Check mark, which has been guiding shoppers to healthier choices for over 20 years.
–American Heart Association
- Greek Cucumber Walnut Bites:
Make heart-smart snacking simple with @cawalnuts this American Heart Month! These Greek Cucumber Walnut Bites are your new go-to snack. #eatheartsmart https://bit.ly/2NCQvFX
2. Sweet & Spicy Walnuts:
A handful of walnuts is a perfect snack to fuel your day, and these heart-smart Sweet and Spicy Walnuts from @cawalnuts will satisfy any appetite this American Heart Month: https://bit.ly/2JxfH2z
3. No-Bake Walnut, Cocoa, Cherry Bars:
Eat heart smart this #American Heart Month with @cawalnuts No-Bake Walnut, Cocoa, Cherry Bars: https://bit.ly/33glgHh
4. Maple Walnut Energy Balls:
Find heart smart, bite-sized bliss in the form of these Maple Walnut Energy Balls. Learn how to make them using @cawalnuts for American Heart Month: https://bit.ly/32evcjf
5. Herbed Cheese and Walnut Stuffed Mini Peppers:
Take a bite out of American Heart Month by snacking on these Herbed Cheese and Walnut Stuffed Mini Peppers from @cawalnuts: https://bit.ly/2WJpwwE
6. Cottage Cheese-Walnut Caprese Toast:
American Heart Month is the perfect excuse to make @cawalnuts’ Cottage Cheese-Walnut Caprese Toast every day. https://bit.ly/34v8MeY
Start the Day with a Heart-Smart Breakfast
- Sweet Potato Avocado Toasts with Walnuts:
A successful day starts with at breakfast! These Sweet Potato Avocado Toasts with @cawalnuts are the new American Heart Month staple: https://bit.ly/3dz0p7X
2. Banana Bread Overnight Oats:
Don’t let busy mornings ruin your American Heart Month goals. Banana Bread Overnight Oats from @cawalnuts are a simple meal-prep option. https://bit.ly/32anTJi
3. Walnut & Oat Crusted Veggie Egg Cups:
A heart smart breakfast is quick and simple with @cawalnuts’ veggies egg cups! Learn how to make them for American Heart Month: https://bit.ly/2PNia9I
4. Ricotta, Banana, Walnut, and Honey Toast:
This sweet toast is topped with ricotta, banana, honey, and @cawalnuts for a flavorful and satisfying American Heart Month snack so you can eat heart smart! https://bit.ly/2S8O0w5
5. Fluffy Banana Walnut Pancakes:
Nothing is sweeter to wake up to than a stack of fluffy pancakes! This recipe is made with egg whites and flavored with bananas and @cawalnuts for a delicious heart smart start to the day! https://bit.ly/2LLYlzD
6. Creamy Egg Cups:
Meal prep your heart smart breakfast with these egg cups, filled with vegetables, bacon bits, and of course crunchy @cawalnuts: https://bit.ly/3h1gdC5
Power Pear-ing for yo ur Heart: Walnut + Pear Recipes
- Walnut Pear and Avocado Bowl:
Celebrate American Heart Month by trying out this heart smart bowl topped with @cawalnuts and a tangy pear and avocado dressing: https://bit.ly/3lBkeOi
2. Walnut Pear and Oat Nuggets:
A bite-sized snack that’s fruity, nutty, and heart smart? @cawalnuts brings you the trifecta in this recipe for American Heart Month:https://bit.ly/2JxAeUx
3. Walnut Pear Quesadilla with Spicy Pear Salsa:
This Walnut Pear Quesadilla with an accompanying salsa is a perfect recipe to add some spice to your American Heart Month. Try out @cawalnuts zesty recipe as a snack today, and shop heart smart: https://bit.ly/2JFd7qK
4. Walnut Pear Yam Skillet:
American Heart Month calls for an indulgent, heart smart side dish that satisfies both sweet and savory palettes: https://bit.ly/2JIAUWM
Sides, Salads, & More!
- Power up with Plants Protein Box:
This American Heart Month, eat heart smart at lunch for a busy day using @cawalnuts. Try out their Power Up with Plants Protein Box: https://bit.ly/34rKhiS
2. Pear and Walnut Spinach Salad:
To eat heart smart, shop heart smart and start with the basics. @calwanuts’ Pear and Walnut Spinach Salad with a Citrusy Dressing is so simple to make, you’ll eat it all American Heart Month long: https://bit.ly/2QB65Dc
3. Roasted Vegetables with Walnuts, Basil, and Balsamic Vinaigrette:
With bell peppers, mushrooms, onions, and squash, this Roasted Vegetable dish from @cawalnuts will be a delicious addition to any table this American Heart Month. https://bit.ly/3lSXqKv
4. Walnut Broccoli Apple Slaw:
This slaw is accented with crunchy toasted @cawalnuts and sweet apples to create a side that’s perfect for American Heart Month. https://bit.ly/3mymqr3
5. Warm Cauliflower Tuna and Walnut Pasta:
This warm pasta dish is just what you need for American Heart Month. It’s packed full of protein, vegetables, and heart smart @cawalnuts. https://bit.ly/38jb5Fr
6. Lemony Tuna Walnut Zoodle Salad:
Full of flavor and heart smart goodies, this Lemony Tuna Walnut Zoodle Salad with @cawalnuts will complete your American Heart Month: https://bit.ly/3ak9pyi
*Supportive but not conclusive research shows that eating 1.5 ounces of walnuts per day, as part of a low saturated fat and low cholesterol diet and not resulting in increased caloric intake, may reduce the risk of coronary heart disease. (FDA) One ounce of walnuts offers 18g of total fat, 2.5g of monounsaturated fat, 13g of polyunsaturated fat including 2.5g of alpha-linolenic acid – the plant-based omega-3.
American Heart Month - 5 Tips to Eat With Your Heart in Mind
February is American Heart Month, and at Price Chopper/Market 32, we have many resources and tools that can support your efforts to enjoy a Heartsmart lifestyle.
The 2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans has a great tagline that can guide how you make food and health decisions – “Make Every Bite Count”. This energizer is meant to help you look at the food choices you make for the benefits they bring to eating well and preventing disease. That can be challenging for many reasons. We have some shortcuts in our stores and pharmacies that can help put smart choices, budgets and wellbeing together more easily.
- Start small by using the Know Your Colors nutrition guides at the shelf and the Shops Online section of the Price Chopper/Market 32 website. These guides highlight products that meet HeartSmart and Low Sodium criteria, making it quick and easy to find and check the label for the information you need. The coordinating colors make it easy to use – red for HeartSmart, yellow for Low Sodium, with many items having both! Learn more at on our website.
- Enjoy more seafood, especially omega-3 rich salmon, trout, and tuna. Seafood twice per week is recommended by the American Heart Association and Dietary Guidelines – reel in the benefits of the great fresh and frozen seafood options that go from pan to plate in less than 20 minutes!
- Add Market 32 walnuts to salads, snacks and meals with American Heart Association Certified Heart Healthy recipes featuring walnuts! Check out the display in Produce and find a great BOGO coupon for Chobani Greek Yogurts.
- Double up on produce intake, whether it be fresh, frozen or canned – all bring benefits and Americans have plenty of room to add more to meet daily recommendations. Explore new takes on traditional foods, such as lentil pasta – combined with regular pasta to add the flavor, fiber, protein and nutrient benefits of pulses, in an affordable and delicious way. Add some extra canned PICS No Salt Added tomatoes and PICS Canned Beans for a flavor, protein and veggie-boosted meal that is easy on your time and budget!
- It is easy to find Low Sodium tagged tomatoes and other items throughout the store – the Know Your Colors nutrition guide helps you see where you can trade up to low sodium ingredients that connect the dots to smart choices for recipes and family meals.
Our Pharmacy team has great resources and programs – learn more about how to check blood pressure at the PharmaSmart kiosk, and how the Pharmacy app can help you keep blood pressure and heart medications on track!