Potatoes: We Love You
Potatoes are one of our favorite things to eat and also one of our favorite crops to follow. They’re famously grown in New York’s Black Dirt Region, which is home to some of the most fertile soil in the world. Our Market 32 Red Potatoes and other home.grown. vegetables reap the benefits of this land! We’re lucky to have this geological treasure right in our Warwick, NY backyard. For more on that topic, check out our story on the Black Dirt Region here.
Our real story: February is National Potato Lovers Month and we’re putting spuds in the spotlight. One of the most versatile foods found in a supermarket, there are endless ways to prepare potatoes.
We reached into our large 50-pound bag and pulled out some of our favorite recipes:
- Rosemary-Garlic Hasselback Potatoes: Hasselback potatoes are quite the stylish side dish. Crispy on the edges and creamy on the inside, they include a little bit of everything you love all in one. Top with rosemary and garlic and you have a perfect companion for your main dish.
- Herb-Roasted Fingerling Potatoes: Fingerling Potatoes are tiny and unassuming, but they pack a burst of flavor that you may not expect. Due to their smaller, thin shape they cook quickly and are easy to prepare.
- Loaded Scalloped Sweet Potatoes: Potatoes and cheese have been a beautiful couple in cooking forever. Add bacon to the mix and you have a dreamy combination of satisfying flavor, especially when it comes with sweet potatoes.
- Carrot & Kale Latkes with Orange-Ginger Sour Cream: This Carrot & Kale version is an upgraded take on light, crispy latkes. The Orange-Ginger Sour Cream matches this recipe perfectly and brings the whole plate together for a satisfying bite.
- Mashed Potato, Cheddar & Leek Casserole: There are few better ways to enhance mashed potatoes than with cheddar cheese and bacon. Bring all of these into casserole and you’ll be blown away by the comfort food feels. This is a perfect survival dish for the rest of the February cold!
- Farmer’s Market Hash with Poached Eggs: One of our favorite morning meals is hash and eggs. This take, best made with home.grown. red potatoes and our PICS large eggs, really hits the spot!
- Roasted Garlic Parmesan Dip: This recipe itself doesn’t involve potatoes, but grab a bag of PICS Kettle Chips and dip away. You have an excellent party appetizer or something for when you’re just in need of a tasty snack. How about dipping some fries in this puppy?
The versatility of a potato is what makes them such a valuable food. With so many styles and preparation methods available at your fingertips, it’s impossible to not love spuds. Here we covered a starchy sample of awesome recipes, but we’ve barely even scratched the surface of all that potato potential! Stop by your local store or shop online to grab potatoes and get started on one of these recipes.
Happy Potato Month from your pals at Price Chopper & Market 32!