We love all things local, and one of our favorite sectors of local food is local beer. There are so many different brews, flavors, and styles, and so many stories to tell! That’s why we’ve embarked on an exciting home.grown. adventure: to bring you fresh craft beer stories each month from our Northeast region. Our region is home to some of the best craft breweries in world, and we’re telling their stories to our craft beer fanatics here on our blog.
Up next: Sloop Brewing Company!
Named after the boats that once moved people up and down the Hudson, Sloop Brewing Company came into fruition in 2011. Founded by Adam Watson and Justin Taylor in pursuit of new tastes and adventures, the duo got their start by selling beer at farmers markets across New York’s Hudson Valley. In 2014, they opened their first production facility in a Dutch post & beam barn in Elizaville, NY. Recently, Sloop followed up by opening a brand new 25,000 square foot facility in East Fishkill’s former IBM plant.
Sloop’s star player is their juicy, hazy, flagship Juice Bomb IPA. In this explosive brew, late hopping and low bitterness combine to bring about citrusy, juicy notes of American hops. An exciting blast of tropical leads the way, and a resin-y, more balanced flavor calms the drink down at the end. Juice Bomb is a must try for real hop lovers!
Interested in trying some Sloop brews?
Check out our in-store tasting schedule below to sample Sloop craft beer, take home some custom home.grown. & Sloop Brewing coasters and more.
Saturday 11/2, 11am – 2pm at our Wilton NY Market 32 Growler Station
Saturday 11/9, 11am – 2pm at our Bethlehem NY Price Chopper Growler Station
Saturday 11/16, 11am – 2pm at our Malta NY Price Chopper Growler Station
Saturday 11/23, 11am – 2pm at our Clifton Shopper’s World NY Market 32 Growler Station
Interested in visiting the brewery?
Make the most of everything Sloop Brewing Company has to offer! Visit sloopbrewing.com/ for taproom hours and menu, get info on brewery tours and more.
Brewery House Address: 755 East Dr. Suite #106, Hopewell Junction, NY 12533
Activate Wellness: November is National Diabetes Month
Ellie Wilson, MS, RDN Senior NutritionistDiabetes is a rising concern for many – almost 10% of Americans have diabetes, and another 30% are at risk. The good news is, eating well to prevent or manage diabetes is the same for everyone. Some quick tips:
- Make half your plate veggies and fruit for most meals, and you have taken a giant step in the right direction. Fresh, frozen and canned fruits and veggies can all be part of your solution.
- Watch quantities on starchy foods – a small serving of potatoes is fine, whole grain sides like rice and quinoa in smaller servings, and whole grain breads are all okay.
- Lean proteins in moderate portions, including seafood twice per week, dairy, beans and legumes, lean chicken, pork or beef – all fit.
- Good fats, like olive oil, avocados and olives, are important to ensuring food tastes good and enhances absorption of key nutrients.
- Even dessert – small servings, or low/no calorie treats, are a good way to make delicious and carb-conscious choices.
- Milk or water round out your meals and snacks, and offer vital nutrients and hydration.
- Our Pharmacy team is also a wonderful resource and has a free medication and supplies program. https://www.pricechopper.com/pharmacy#/