Checking Out - Joseph's Bakery
The Joseph’s Bakery story is iconic – Syrian immigrant Joseph Boghos arrived in Lawrence, Massachusetts in 1952. Missing familiar food from home, he began making pita bread in his apartment, intriguing friends and neighbors with the delicious “pocket” bread. Fast forward to today, and three generations have transformed that family recipe into a local company employing 300 + people, making delicious, versatile pita, lavash and more!
Joseph’s Bakery Pita, Wraps and Lavash are an innovative combination of a traditional recipe adapted to include better-for-you ingredients that add up to a win-win for you and your family. Whole wheat, ALA omega 3’s from fiber-rich, nutty flaxseed, lighter in calories/carbs than many bread items – there is a lot to like! Those unique features mean several Joseph’s Bakery items meet the Know Your Colors nutrition guidelines for CarbSmart, Protein Smart and Whole Grains. Joseph’s Bakery signature savory flavor and heady, wholesome fresh bread aroma make a tasty and tender foundation for any recipe. The pita is perfectly sized, easy to split open and fill with your favorites – Market 32 Turkey, fresh romaine or tender baby spinach, or sliced Market 32 Fresh Mozzarella, sliced fresh tomatoes, arugula and a splash of PICS Balsamic Vinegar! Versatile Joseph’s Pita and Wraps are great for picnics, tailgating, or traveling. Get personal with pita pizzas kids can build themselves at your Friday night pizza buffet or get plant-powered with marinated white bean salad, hummus and veggies, or Mediterranean falafel salad fillings. Yum!
The Lavash is a wonderful base for a cheesy flatbread, thin-crust fruit or veggie pizza, or fun pinwheel appetizer or lunchbox fun favorite. Turn leftovers into new family favorites, like leftover Market 32 rotisserie chicken and cole slaw lavash roll ups – grate some fresh apple or pear into the slaw for a flavor-forward surprise that everyone will love. Joseph’s Bakery items are great pantry and/or freezer items to keep on hand for a quick meal or snack. The perfect “secret ingredient”, they’re just waiting in our Deli display for your inspiration!
BBQ Chicken and Pear Pizza
- 1 package of Joseph’s Flax Lavash
- 1/3 cup of low fat ricotta
- 1/2 clove of minced garlic
- Olive oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup of yellow onion chopped
- 1/4 cup of thinly sliced pears
- 1/2 cup of shredded chicken
- BBQ sauce as desired
- Arugula as desired
- Ranch dressing as desired
- Pre heat the oven to 450°F.
- Prepare your ingredients: Mix the ricotta and garlic together in a small bowl. Chop onions and caramelize them in a pan, then set aside. Slice up your pear to make a 1/4 cup. Prepare your shredded chicken and set aside.
- Add your toppings: Lay your lavash on a non stick pan, drizzle on olive oil and sprinkle sea salt. Dollop on your ricotta mixture on to your lavash and spread out with a spatula, leaving a little bit of room around the edges. Layer on the caramelized onions and shredded chicken.
- Bake your creation in the oven for 4-6 minutes. Let your pizza cool for 1-2 minutes out of the oven.
- Drizzle on your favorite BBQ sauce, then add arugula to the top and drizzle on ranch dressing as desired. Cut into slices and enjoy!
California Pita Pocket
- 1 Joseph’s Pita Bread (Flax or White or Wheat)
- 1/2 Avocado sliced thinly
- Your favorite deli meat (turkey, chicken or plant based)
- 1/2 Tomato sliced thin
- A few pieces of romaine lettuce
- Desired condiments (mustard, mayo, etc.)
- Cut the pita in half through the center of the circle to create two pockets for your sandwich. Warm the pita in the microwave for a few seconds or in the oven if desired.
- Add your lettuce, avocado slices, tomato slices, and deli meat. Add in any condiments for extra flavor.
- Transfer to plate and enjoy!