Written by Maureen Rowan Murphy, Manager Consumer Trends, Nutrition and Lifestyles
Organizing and timing are key elements when it comes to preparing any meal, but especially a special dinner. This countdown is intended as a guide to make it easier to prepare a stress free, delicious Thanksgiving meal that you too can enjoy!!
Happy Thanksgiving from our family to yours!
The weekend before:
• Shop for items that can be purchased ahead.
• Prepare and freeze anything that can be made in advance.
• Develop a food preparation schedule.
The day before Thanksgiving:
• Purchase fresh items like vegetables.
• Set table or set up serving areas and set out serving pieces/utensils.
• Set up beverage area.
• Measure out dry stuffing ingredients, cover and set aside to mix with perishable ingredients prior to stuffing or placing in a casserole dish.
Early in the day
• Post a list of food and check off so nothing is forgotten.
• Remove turkey from the refrigerator, unwrap, remove giblets, and set aside if using. Place in a roasting pan and refrigerate until ready to rest.
• Pick up any prepared food. (Our stores are open until 3pm Thanksgiving day.)
4 to 6 hours before serving
• Peel and cut up potatoes and cover with cold water until ready to cook.
• Prepare stuffing,
2 hours before serving
• Cook giblets is using.
• Place condiments such as cranberry sauce, olives, carrots, celery and pickles.
• Add any finishing touches to make ahead recipes.
1 hour before serving
• Remove turkey from oven and allow to rest.
• Place stuffing in oven to bake if baking in a casserole dish as advised.
• Drain potatoes, add salt and fresh water. Cook, drain, and mash. Place in an ovenproof casserole and keep warm in oven.
• Make gravy.
15 minutes before serving
• Carve Turkey.
• Bake rolls according to package directions.
• Pour beverages.
• Place condiments on table.
• Add any finishing touches to side dishes.
• Light candles.