It’s always sad when you realize that the nights are getting darker earlier and summer is really over! Before winter gets the best of us, we should really try to enjoy the glorious autumn season to its fullest. I suggest the following outside activities to truly take advantage of everything the season has to offer:
- Plan a late season BBQ- even on a cloudy day!
- Take a bike ride and enjoy the foliage
- Rake leaves (and don’t forget to help your neighbor too!)
- Pick the perfect pumpkin
The looming fall season will also bring a number of seasonal beer offers. Remember, these are limited time offers, often quite unique, and provide the perfect opportunity to try something different! While I’ll try to tell you about a few seasonal beer products that will be on our shelves this fall, keep in mind that these products are made seasonally, which means they may differ slightly from years past. They’re limited editions so they may not be in every location and they will certainly not last long!
Today there are seasonal beer offerings for every season, but the roots of seasonal beer are traced to October 12, 1810, the marriage of Prince Ludwig to Princess Therese of Bavaria. There was a special Oktoberfest Beer produced to celebrate their wedding and we are still celebrating now over 200 years later!
Samuel Adams Octoberfest
– The list must start here as in this country this is the number one fall seasonal beer. It has a deep red amber color, slightly sweet malty aroma, and the flavor is roasted caramel with a slightly hoppy toffee malt. Enjoy it with sausage, roasted chicken or a delicious roast pork, but do enjoy it.
-Brewed with German malt and hops, it is true to the German style with a little “Brooklyn” know-how. It pairs well with roasted foods or great with a burger.
Angry Orchard Hard Cider
– Light and refreshing these cider varieties have a crisp apple flavor!
Strongbow Hard Apple Cider
– Sweet and golden with a crisp kick, a hint of green apple and a long, bittersweet finish.