Summertime is approaching faster than ever and what better way to beat the heat than with an ice-cold glass of lemonade? Nothing! Even though lemonade is a wonderful drink, it can taste a bit boring at times. Practically everyone knows the signature flavor of lemonade, as it’s a classic summer staple, so why not mix it up a bit!
Simple syrup is an easy and exciting way to create a different taste to any drink. The possibilities are endless when creating this quick simple syrup. Add virtually anything to create a fun and unique take on a drink that we all love! Add fruits, herbs, spices, and flowers to simple syrup.
That’s right, flowers can be used to flavor simple syrups! Their floral and decadent scent can easily be mimicked into any drink. Though not every flower can be used in simple syrup, lavender is a popular flower that is commonly used in lemonades, coffees, teas and so much more!
If you would like to try a fun simple syrup that adds some excitement to your summer, then follow this recipe that breaks down how to create the perfect staple syrup for your summer!
What You Need:
- 2 or 3 Teaspoons of Edible Lavender (Dried or Fresh)
- ¾ Cup of Granulated Sugar (You Can Use Honey as Well)
- 1 Cup of Water
- Pour your cup of water into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once your water is boiling, pour your cup of sugar in the pot along with 2 or 3 teaspoons of lavender.
- Bring your mixture to a simmer. (You don’t want the sugar to burn as your lavender steeps!)
- Stir the sugar until it’s completely dissolved and let the liquid simmer even more.
- Wait 10-15 minutes to acquire the perfect lavender taste, best suited for you! (Feel free to taste test and play around with flavor intensity in this step.)
- Strain your simple syrup with a mesh strainer (double strain to ensure no buds!)
- Once your syrup has cooled fully, place the syrup in a bottle and store in the fridge. (Your simple syrup will last for two weeks!)
- Add desired amount of syrup to any beverage.
There you have it! An easy and carefree simple syrup that takes minimal time and adds an exciting, new flavor to any drink. Replace lavender with fruits and other (edible) flowers to create a variety of syrups all summer long! Shop all your simple syrup making needs at Price Chopper and Market 32.