Everyone loves a good pizza, but sometimes you’re in the mood for something different. What if you have pizza dough at home, but don’t necessarily want pizza? There are more ways to put it to use than you might think. Check out these ten ways to use pizza dough, outside of pizza!
10 Ways (Besides Pizza) to Use Pizza Dough
1. Calzones: At the end of the day, calzones are something like an inside out pizza. Crispy dough filled with cheese, sauce, meat, and all your favorite toppings. Delicious!
2. Doughnuts: On some occasions, pizza is eaten for breakfast, and it’s a topic of much debate. However, it’s a fact that the dough is great for making morning doughnuts. Making doughnuts with pizza dough will give you a slightly denser doughnut, but it will certainly do the trick!
3. Breadsticks: Thin and crispy breadsticks are very easy to make with pizza dough. When rolling out the dough, rub a light coating of olive oil on the countertop or in your hands. Roll the dough into long, skinny sticks, and place in the oven at 400F for 10-15 minutes.
4. Cheese Sticks: Cheese sticks are a great alternative to a whole pizza. Simply press the dough into 8-inch squares and brush the top with oil. Sprinkle cheese and some Italian seasoning to finish it off. Finally, bake for 6-8 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned.
5. Pot Pie: Use pizza dough as the crust in your favorite pot pie. The best thing about pot pie is that you can throw almost anything you want in. Meats, vegetables, whatever you choose and you’re good to go.
6. Crackers: Crackers made from pizza dough make for a great snack. They are delicious and easy to make. Just make sure your dough is rolled as thin as possible.
7. Dumplings: There are many different styles of dumplings. Did you know that you can use pizza dough to make them? Pizza dough works great for making fluffy dumplings and even for the flatter, Southern-style variation.
8. Pigs in a Blanket: Pigs in a blanket is the name given to any type of mini hot dog or sausage wrapped in dough. Try it with pizza dough!
9. Pinwheels: Pinwheels make for a great gameday snack and there are a number of ways they can be prepared. Use pizza dough, cheese, chicken or bacon (or both), and some shredded zucchini or spinach.
10. Fruit and Cheese Bakes: Essentially a fruit tart, fruit and cheese bakes can be made with pizza dough. Spread some cottage cheese on the dough, add your favorite fruits like apples and pears, and bake. It’s that easy!
These are just ten of the many ways to get creative with pizza dough. Pick up some pizza dough from your local store and discover your new favorite way to use this versatile product!