Chinese New Year - Celebrate with KA-ME Foods
The Lunar Chinese New Year holiday begins on February 11th and is celebrated from the 12th through the 17th of February in 2021. It is one of the most important holidays of the year in China, and many businesses will be closed for part of this festival time. The holiday falls on the second new moon after the winter solstice, so the date changes each year. Chinese New Year is also linked to the astrological calendar, with 2021 being the Year of the Ox.
Like most holidays, there are traditional “lucky” foods that are enjoyed at this time, with specific meanings that promote benefits in the New Year. The New Year meal is the most important meal of the year, and it is meant to be enjoyed with family. You and your family can explore and enjoy some of the food traditions of this cultural holiday with quality ingredients by KA-ME Foods, a specialty Asian foods company. KA-ME items in stores include products that are organic, fresh noodle items that are low sodium and a good source of fiber, and flavor-building rice wine, sesame oil and coconut milk.
Lucky Foods – Below are some of the traditional foods that are part of these celebrations. Their symbolism has been celebrated for over 1,000 years!
- Whole Fish – Representing “surplus”, or the good fortune of having a “surplus” at the end of the year, a whole fish is a traditional New Year’s dish.
- Chinese Dumplings – Classic lucky food for the New Year, boat-shaped, oval dumplings, filled with finely chopped vegetables, shrimp, beef and more, symbolize Chinese silver ingots and promote obtaining wealth in the New Year.
- Chinese New Year Noodles –A noodle bowl dish that comes to life with this recipe from KA-ME. This veggie-filled, flavorful recipe uses the KA-ME Lo Mein Noodles, sesame oil blend, fresh garlic, ginger, scallions and shiitake mushrooms, all found in the Price Chopper/Market 32 stores.
- Spring Rolls – These may have a range of savory or sweet fillings, and fried to a golden-yellow color, symbolizing “a ton of gold”, or a wish for prosperity in the New Year.
- Good Fortune Fruit – Tangerines, oranges and pomelos, all citrus fruits known to have originated in southern China, are included because of their round and golden colors, symbolizing fullness and wealth. Our good fortune is that all of these are seasonal and in-stores right now!
Explore these items and more – tour Asian cuisine from your own kitchen with KA-ME!
- Organic White Rice Noodles Vermicelli
- Organic Brown Rice Noodles Vermicelli
Stir Fry Noodles
- Hokkien Stir Fry Noodles
- Udon Stir Fry Noodles
- Soba Stir Fry Noodles
- Rice Sticks
- Wide Lo Mein Noodles
- Chinese Curly Noodles
Rice Cooking Wine
Sesame Oil Blend
Organic Coconut Milks