Tips for A Happy and Food Safe Halloween
BOO! Here it comes again, the official (unofficial) holiday of Halloween! There is no doubt, it is beloved by children and adults alike. The costumes, decorations and freaky/fun tricks and treats are wickedly delightful for those who participate before colder weather changes activity opportunities. To ensure it is fun for everyone, set expectations – your goblins and ghouls should know the food safety rules ahead of time to set the stage for happy smiles versus scowls and howls. Here are some ‘tricks” for caregivers hoping for a howling good time!
- Eat before you go out – some great Halloween treat ideas to set the stage are right here (with spooky music!) on Price Chopper YouTube and Pinterest boards. That will make it easier to create the plan that parents/guardians must check items before eating. We have treats for adults too – pumpkin everything and fall favorites to fuel your fun.
- Children should be taught/shown not to accept treats that aren’t commercially wrapped. Throw away anything that is torn, has pinholes, or looks unusual in any way. Fresh fruit, if accepted, should be carefully checked and washed before eating.
- If your child has a food allergy, you already know that treats are tricky. Verify Epi-pens are not expired and are readily available. Always check the labels of each item. Some homes may have a teal-colored pumpkin to signal they have some treats without some allergens, but adults must still check the individual items before eating. The same goes for gluten free candy – The Celiac Disease Foundation has published their 2022 Gluten Free Halloween Candy list – you can download and print the pdf here.
- Ages and stages – some candies are choking hazards for smaller children. Gum, hard candies, peanuts and even small toys could be a concern.
- How much and how often should be part of the plan – a national poll shows 78% of parents plan for about two pieces of candy per day. That helps children learn candy can be part of eating well.
- Flashlights, candy, party supplies and more are all at your local store and online waiting for you to create a “monster” good time. Happy Halloween!
BWAH HA HA HAAAAA!!!!!!!
Halloween is Here!
BOO! Did Halloween sneak up on you too? Halloween has always been one of our favorite holidays. Costumes, candy, jack-o-lanterns, what’s not to love? Growing up trick-or-treating was always a blast, but don’t worry, if you’re too old for trick-or-treating there’s still plenty of ways to have fun on Halloween.
A scary movie marathon is an easy and fun way to get the spook factor in. With all of the streaming services available these days, the options are a plenty. Check out classic scares like The Shining, Scream, or Nightmare on Elm Street. Or more family-friendly options like Halloweentown or Hocus Pocus. Gather your friends, grab some PICS Popcorn and settle in for some frights.
But the pillowcase full of free candy is still missing. Luckily, we have plenty of Halloween-themed recipes to keep the kid in you excited. Check out these fun Halloween Quesadillas or Halloween Sugar Cookies. Even these Red-Velvet Mummy Cake Pops make for a spooky fun treat! Our Trick-or-Treat Pinterest Board is full of fun ideas such as these.
Another fun way to get in the spirit of Halloween is through decorations. Whether you’re having a pumpkin carving contest with friends, or simply looking to make your porch more festive, we have all the pumpkins and gourds needed to do so.
At Price Chopper & Market 32 we love Halloween as much as you do! That’s why we provide all the candy, pumpkins, and sweet treats you need to have a spooky great holiday. For all things Halloween stop by your local store or visit our online halloween hub!