Written by Sylvia Geiger MS, RD, CD, Price Chopper Community Nutritionist
Here are some delicious easy salads to have on hand.
7 Reasons to Eat More Salads
- Most salads include plenty of lettuce, spinach or kale. Aside from being low calorie, these greens have many nutrients. Did you know that 2 cups of raw spinach leaves has almost 100% of your need for vitamin A? Or that Kale is chocked full of both vitamins A & K?
- Salads are easy and convenient- if you are crunched for time, try the pre-washed & pre-cut veggie bags found in the produce aisle.
- Adding fruits—what ever is in season—makes a salad more kid friendly.
- All fruits and vegetables contain phytochemicals that have known health benefits, so enjoy your favorite and try some new ones. For example…
- Lycopene, found in carrots, tomatoes, and watermelon may help protect skin from UV radiation damage.
- New research shows that Sulforaphane, a component of broccoli, cauliflower and kale helps prevent cancer because it selectively targets & kills cancer cells.
- Potassium, found in potatoes (both white & sweet), tomatoes and beans is important in healthy blood pressure.
Recipe Ideas using this week’s sale items
All main ingredients are on sale
Bean & Tomato Salad with Honey Vinaigrette
Grilled Steak with Fresh Corn Salad
Broccoli Salad with Creamy Feta Cheese Dressing