Ellie Wilson, MS, RDN Senior Nutritionist Yes, you should #LoveAvocadoToast! Subbing avocado for butter on toast creates a delicious and nutritious backdrop for your simple and savory “masterpiece” – play on words intended. Just 1/3 of an avocado is a good source of fiber, folic acid, B5 and Vitamin K, boosts absorption of Vitamin A, and contains trace amounts of 15 more nutrients. Avocado is also a sodium-free source of monounsaturated fats, so on the “A” list for heart-smart choices. Smashed or sliced on artisan Venetian bread from our bakery, or layered on hearty sour dough or multigrain breads, you can take avocado toast way beyond breakfast. Check out the recipes and serving suggestions below, and tell us your favorite on Facebook!
- Slice avocado in half and scoop into a bowl. Season with lime juice, chopped cilantro, salt and pepper. Mash and top your favorite bread.
- Add a perfectly fried or poached egg for protein power
- Heat it up with spicy Pico de Gallo
- So pretty – pomegranate/mint/goat cheese avocado toast from Avocados from Mexico: https://bit.ly/2v1zdsS
- Classic! Bacon/Lettuce/Avocado/Tomato sandwich: https://www.pricechopper.com/recipes#/11781