Written by Sylvia Geiger MS, RD, CD, Price Chopper Community Nutritionist
You may have read the recent headlines “ Eating nuts helps control blood sugars” or “Nuts—the new weight loss aid.” Although simply adding handfuls of nuts to your daily intake may not give you miraculous weight loss results or improved blood sugar levels, nuts are healthful and eating them regularly has known health benefits.
Yes, nuts are high in fat—but it’s the healthy kind called monounsaturated fatty acids or MUFAs, which are associated with heart health benefits. While the fat in nuts makes them a higher calorie food, nutritionists consider these to be “nutrient rich” calories instead of “empty calories. ” Nuts are an important source of several nutrients such as: vitamin E, magnesium, copper, phosphorus and they also provide some protein and fiber. Tree nuts such as pistachios, pecans, almonds and walnuts, are also rich in antioxidants, which is thought to be preventative for cardiovascular disease, cancer and Alzheimer’s.So for a nutrition boost, try to include more nuts in your daily diet. Deliciously Nutty Ideas:
- Toss some chopped walnuts or pistachios on your salads to add some crunch.
- Add some ground almonds, pecans or pistachios to breadcrumb mixtures for baking fish and chicken, it’ll add some extra flavor.
- Make your own trail mix by combining your favorite nuts with some dried fruit and cereal.
- Pair some toasted nuts with raspberries or grapes and cheese assortment for a more elegant appetizer.
- Top warm or chilled pureed soups with a tablespoon of finely chopped nuts as a flavorful texture contrast.
- Most nuts have between 150-170 calories per ounce (per handful) so be sure to take that into consideration with your daily meal plan.
Recipe Ideas using this week’s sale items
All main ingredients are on sale
- Chili Rubbed Tilapia with Asparagus & Lemon or Glazed Steak with Grilled Onions
- Baked Potato or Brown Rice
- DOLE Spring Mix with Pomegranate and Goat Cheese Toasts
- Mixed Berry Gratin or Blueberries with Lemon Cream