It is that time of year again where many people will start up gardening. Gardening is a great way to save money on your favorite vegetables and get a great deal of exercise in as well. Additionally, did you know that gardening actually helps the environment? Growing your own vegetables helps reduce carbon emissions. So what are we waiting for? Let’s get growing!
Tips & Tricks on Gardening Favorites
We picked out three commonly grown vegetables and provided some tips and tricks on how to succeed this gardening season. Find out how below!
- Tomatoes, like people, love the sunshine! Make sure that your tomatoes are in a position where they will get ample sunshine to grow strong.
- Tomato plants can be planted a lot deeper than other vegetables. A full two-thirds of the plant should be underground. Seeds should be planted one-eighth of an inch underground. By planting tomatoes deeper in the soil, you are allowing for stronger, more resilient roots.
- Tomato plants need 1-2 inches of water in total per week. Remember not to do this all at once.
- Unlike tomatoes, peppers must be in a shaded area, as they are very sensitive to heat.
- Peppers require 1-2 inches of water per week, but make sure to space out your waterings. Peppers need days in between for dryness. Slow dousings of water are beneficial for peppers.
- Plant peppers 18-24 inches apart.
- Carrots require a lot of sunshine – about 6-10 hours a day.
- Carrots are slow to germinate. They typically require 2-3 weeks to emerge, so don’t give up on these guys!
- Water carrots frequently, but do not douse them as you would with peppers. A shallow watering will do.
As you start harvesting your crops, you will want to make some homemade meals out of them. Check out some of our recipes below!
Grilled Veggie & Quinoa Bowl: This fresh blend of vegetables includes tomatoes, corn, green onions, and avocado, however, add in more of your garden vegetables for even more color!
Zucchini-Vegetable Rolls: With only 5 ingredients, this is a great appetizer to put out for your Mother’s Day or Memorial Day celebration. The only ingredient you would have to purchase is the PICS cream cheese!