Written by: Kevin Schulke, Senior Category Manager Beer & Wine
It’s always sad when you realize that the nights are getting darker earlier and summer is really over! Before winter gets the best of us, we should really try to enjoy the glorious autumn season to its fullest. I suggest the following outside activities to truly take advantage of everything the season has to offer:
- Plan a late season BBQ- even on a cloudy day!
- Take a bike ride and enjoy the foliage
- Rake leaves (and don’t forget to help your neighbor too!)
- Pick the perfect pumpkin
The looming fall season will also bring a number of seasonal beer offers. Remember, these are limited time offers, often quite unique, and provide the perfect opportunity to try something different! While I’ll try to tell you about a few seasonal beer products that will be on our shelves this fall, keep in mind that these products are made seasonally, which means they may differ slightly from years past. They’re limited editions so they may not be in every location and they will certainly not last long!
Today there are seasonal beer offerings for every season, but the roots of seasonal beer are traced to October 12, 1810, the marriage of Prince Ludwig to Princess Therese of Bavaria. There was a special Oktoberfest Beer produced to celebrate their wedding and we are still celebrating now over 200 years later!
Samuel Adams Octoberfest
– The list must start here as in this country this is the number one fall seasonal beer. It has a deep red amber color, slightly sweet malty aroma, and the flavor is roasted caramel with a slightly hoppy toffee malt. Enjoy it with sausage, roasted chicken or a delicious roast pork, but do enjoy it.
-Brewed with German malt and hops, it is true to the German style with a little “Brooklyn” know-how. It pairs well with roasted foods or great with a burger.
Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale
– Certainly and singlehandedly responsible for the huge popularity of the pumpkin style beer today. It boasts hints of pumpkin, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It is a crisp and refreshing beer that pairs equally well with food or while socializing with friends.
Brooklyn Post Road Pumpkin Ale
– Orange amber in color, with a pumpkin aroma and crisp clean finish. It is perfect for your Thanksgiving Dinner; the trick is to avoid drinking it before Thanksgiving Day.
Saranac Pumpkin Ale
– Brewed with real pumpkin and the same spices you’d use to make pumpkin pie. The results are delicious and you might serve this with roast duck, hearty soup, or pumpkin pie. It’s scary good!
Samuel Adams Harvest Pumpkin Ale
-This fall seasonal has its roots in Colonial days; where pumpkin was added in place of traditional malts. This version has over 17 pounds of pumpkin in every barrel. The results are a dark amber brew, full bodied and with subtle spice notes. It is perfect with the traditional holiday meals!
While my suggestions for fall activities and limited time fall malt beverages will not stop this winter from being extremely cold with potentially record snowfall ,they may provide some pleasant memories to help you make it until spring!
What is your family’s favorite food pairing? Is it peanut butter & jelly, spaghetti & meatballs or something completely unique? Share it with us below and on our Facebook page
for your chance to win a $400 Price Chopper gift card!
Unilever has many brands that provide meal solutions to help you and your family enjoy your favorite food pairings that are both tasty and nutritious!
Skippy Natural is a great tasting, 100% natural peanut butter spread your kids will love! There’s no need to stir, no oily mess, and no preservatives, artificial flavors or colors which makes it an excellent lunchtime addition! Pair it with your favorite jelly or enjoy it on its own.
Ragú pasta sauce is made with 100% California tomatoes, simmered to perfection for a great tasting smooth sauce! We all know there’s nothing as comforting as a nice plate of spaghetti and meatballs!
Price Chopper and Unilever want to make sure that you and your family get to enjoy your favorite
food pairings, whether it’s PB&J, spaghetti & meatballs or something else! That’s why one lucky grand prize winner will be selected to receive a $400 Price Chopper gift card and three runner ups will each receive a $200 Price Chopper gift card! To be entered into the contest, comment below AND on our Facebook page
telling us what your family’s favorite food pairings are! Leave your comments by Monday, October 8th
2012 to be entered to win.
Read official rules here.