Did your pantry get cluttered over the winter? If so, it’s time to weed out those half-eaten boxes and freshen up your shelves with some lighter and healthier ingredients to power you through spring cleaning, gardening and yard work!
I always get a burst of energy when spring arrives and start weeding through my pantry. This year, I’m using the NuVal shelf-tag scoring system to find more nutrient-rich ingredients. Here are some simple tips for stocking your shelves with delicious wholesome ingredients:
- Use the NuVal shelf tag score to trade up for health; the higher the NuVal score the better the nutrition. When you’re shopping, take a moment to compare the NuVal scores of foods sitting side-by-side on the shelf. You’ll be surprised at how simple it is to find a food with a higher score.
- Look for cereals that score above the average NuVal cereal score of 27. Great choices include Oatmeal (59) Cheerios (37) Wheat Chex (91). Not ready for those? Then simply put a higher scoring cereal in your cart.
- Try whole grain pastas (89-91), brown rice (82), whole wheat cous-cous (57) or even quinoa (91). Whole grains have fiber which slows down digestion to keep you fuller for longer and the germ kernel adds a mild flavor.
- Look for canned vegetables and soups that are lower in sodium or have no added salt. Use NuVal scores to guide you to the healthiest selections.
- Choose a healthy cooking oil such as olive oil (11-17) or Canola oil (23).
- Look for breads and wraps that list whole grain or whole wheat as the first ingredient.
- Choose the best ingredients with our Guide to Stocking a Healthy Pantry.
Here’s our Healthy Meal of the Week! All main ingredients are on sale and NuVal scores are in parentheses.
For your main course, choose either:
Chili Rubbed Tilapia with Asparagus & Lemon (Tilapia 82)
With your favorite fresh or frozen vegetable or Lemon Lovers Asparagus (100)!
Try a different grain! How about Quinoa (91) or Whole Wheat Cous-Cous or Brown Rice Pilaf (82)?
Add a fresh fruit cup: Blackberries (96) Raspberries (98), Navel Oranges (100), Mangos (93) and Mini-Watermelons are all on sale!
Want to bake a dessert? Then give this recipe for Mixed Berry Almond Gratin a try!
Remember to use the NuVal system to help make healthy choices this spring!Price Chopper mourns the loss of Melvin Sparks – the kind and musically-gifted man who lent his voice, bluesy guitar licks and gleaming smile to our annual “House of BBQ” campaign. He helped us to fire it up, and for that, he will always have an honorary place in our ‘House’.
Melvin was an accomplished jazz guitarist who played alongside the likes of Little Richard and Marvin Gaye. He will be missed by the entire Price Chopper family.
If you would like to learn more about Melvin’s long musical career, you may read his obituary in the New York Times here.
Please feel free to share your thoughts and comments below.